Living with Scoliosis is not easy. However, depending on the severity and location of pain, degenerative scoliosis in adults can be treated with one or more non-surgical options, and the absolute best option is chiropractic care. Let us break this statement down further.
What is Scoliosis?
Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. The spine is naturally designed with three curves, creating an “S” shape from the side. An adult person with scoliosis will have a lateral (side-to-side) curve, greater than 10 degrees, which often results in an “S” or “C” shape from the front or rear view of the body.
This curve is not always detectable to the eye, but you can notice scoliosis through noticeably uneven shoulders, waist or hips, a rib hump or, prominence of the lower back on the side with the curvature.
Symptoms of Scoliosis
In most cases symptoms of scoliosis start with low back pain. Later on, the increased pressure on nerves, due to the scoliotic curve, can lead to weakness, numbness and pain in the lower extremities. Severe cases of scoliosis can result in the loss of coordination and mobility.
What are the Goals of Non-Surgical Treatments for Scoliosis?
Most adults with degenerative scoliosis do not need surgery. The goals of non-surgical treatments are to:
- Reduce pain.
- Increase strength
- Improve posture.
- Increase flexibility and range of motion.
Different Types of Scoliosis Curves and Causes:
- Idiopathic Curve: This is the most common type of scoliosis. Often there is no clear cause of the spinal curve.
- Congenital Curve: “Congenital” means the spinal abnormality was present at birth. These cases are rare and typically diagnosed in childhood. See prior article: Chiropractic is the Answer to Treat Scoliosis in Children.
- Paralytic Curve: This curve is often the result of a spinal cord injury. Paralytic curve means that the muscles around the spine do not work, which in turn can cause abnormal curvatures of the spine.
- Myopathic Deformity: Similar to paralytic, myopathic means that the muscles do not work properly. This can result in atypical curves in the spine caused by conditions such as muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy or polio.
- Secondary Scoliosis: Includes other spinal conditions that affect the vertebrae, such as degeneration, osteoporosis and osteomalacia, and that can cause scoliosis.Spinal surgery can also result in an imbalance in the spine, leading to a scoliosis diagnosis.
You can treat some of the pain symptoms with pain killers, like Ibuprofen, or other medications that treat inflammation from arthritis, epidural or facet injections.
Your Best Treatment Option – Chiropractic Care
However, the healthier and more effective treatment method is chiropractic care. Chiropractic adjustments and spinal manipulations can by an experienced chiropractor, like Dr. Adam Nachmias – Nachmias Chiropractic, keep the facet joints mobile and help reduce pain.
Chiropractic cannot reverse scoliosis, but the improvement of joint mobility from adjustments can decrease pain, increase comfort and improve posture. Chiropractors can also address other symptoms or, issues the patient may be experiencing, and help prevent further degradation of the spine (parts taken from: spine-health.com & chiroone.net).
Unfortunately, many people with scoliosis believe that they are stuck with this painful condition and that there is nothing to do about it. Others have even adapted to the pain.
You do not need to despair and suffer, because there is help to get. Dr. Adam Nachmias – Nachmias Chiropractic is here for you! He will not only relieve you from pain, but also improve your posture so you can feel less self conscious, and better about your appearance.
Furthermore, during Dr. Adam Nachmias’s years as a professional chiropractor he found a genetic link to Scoliosis in families. If there is an immediate family member (i.e. parents, children, brothers or, sisters) that suffers from scoliosis, you should get examined too. There is a chance that you may have scoliosis as well.
Book your chiropractic exam and consult with Dr. Adam Nachmias today! Until March 4, 2017, you can take advantage of our New Year’s Offer and get an exam/consultation and 3 adjustments for only $75!
To book an appointment, call any of our offices:
Nachmias Chiropractic – We Got Your Back!